main image
Help us save Pekingese by making a donation today!

2018 was another great year for PCF.  Help us make 2019 an even better year!

Happy Tails


Days ago my friend in Tulsa, Cheryl,  (we have been best friends for over thirty five years) wrote and said a little Pekingese bitch had walked in the door of her office following a young woman who had walked in.   Cheryl asked the girl if it was her peke and she said No and was going to  put her back out again on to a busy main road with very heavy traffic.  Cheryl hit the roof and, in her words, let the girl have it for even thinking of putting that peke out there on a busy highway.  From the photograph Cheryl sent me she appeared to be in good condition but I found out today that was not the  truth, and that she was very thin and covered in fleas.   Cheryl kept her and advertised her in the newspaper and put fliers all up and down the busy road.  She went home with Cheryl,  who breeds and shows Skye Terriers.   She was fed twice a day and Cheryl said she has put on a pound in four days. 


Today the owner talked with Cheryl and said she did not want the peke and had given her away to her son and she had changed hands a number of times.  Evidently, it was about four times she had changed hands.   . She said her name is Ginger.  Cheryl had named her Mei Ling.  Her son has children and they had let her out of the door and she had gone away.  Nobody bothered to look for her as they did not want her.  They left her to run the street, (they lived right by a four lane highway)    and possibly get hit by a car or truck.  They did not care, they simply did not want her and so in effect, just dumped her,.   Cheryl asked her if she wanted the bitch to be put into Pekingese rescue and  the woman said Yes as they absolutely did not want her.         The highway has many stores and offices on the front of the road and she could have gone in any one of them or none at all.   By a  tremendous stroke of good luck she walked into the very office and to the very person she needed to go to.   I am not sure it was just good luck. So many stores, so many offices all in a row on each side of the four lane highway and so much traffic, but she walked into Cheryl.   I think somebody up there was looking out for this little peke and guided her in to the right person.  Cheryl has rid her of fleas and is fattening her up.  Meg, Cheryl’s daughter is going over to Tulsa tomorrow and will be bringing little Ginger back to me and I will foster her and find her a good home, What could have been a tragedy for this little peke at the wheels of an eighteen wheeler or car has ended well for her.

Here is an update on the little Peke rescue Ginger.  She now has a wonderful new forever home.    Her new Mommy and Daddy came to get her on Sunday.  The first two pictures were taken  at my home within minutes of Ginger meeting them.  She ran into the room and rolled over at Jackie, her new Mom’s feet.  Jackie immediately got down on the floor and tickled her tummy.  The second is of her new Dad holding her.

The third picture I got today from Jackie.  Nick is out in the garden with the two rescue dogs….the llasa they found at the river starving and filthy….and Ginger sitting quietly alongside of Nick.   They love her dearly already.  It gives me a very good feeling to see this picture and how she is settling in,.   The had just lost their beloved fifteen year old Peke and Ginger was abandoned by people who did not want her.  They all needed each other.


 Look into those eyes, and believe the story you are about to read.  Someone, in the middle of the night, dumped this angel at a shelter in Southern Ohio. She had a tumor the size of a softball under her right leg, making it very difficult for her to walk. The shelter named her "Little Miss Throw Away", because she was thrown away like someone's trash.  Due to her condition, she was considered unadoptable, and was to be destroyed. That's when Pekingese Charitable Foundation stepped in and said that euthanasia was unacceptable, maybe there was hope
for her. Although other vets said she was full of cancer, she was rescued from the shelter, transported 8 hours north where Safehaven Foster Home made room for her.
She was renamed HOPE, and was immediately taken to our vet. The tumor had ruptured and was now infected. Our wonderful Dr. Hoover thought that he could help her,
and he did. Two days later, the tumor was removed and she began to recover, gaining weight, and getting lots of love. It took over 30 stitches to close the wound, yet she never grumbled or complained.  What a trooper.
Hope was the queen of the house. Even the other Pekes seem to give her the respect of a warrior, which she so well deserved. She was our princess, and was cared for as such. Our special time with her was a gift that can never be taken from us.

One of her cutest habits was to use her favorite Teddy Bear as a pillow. She would rest her little head on the bears belly and watch television. Soon she would be
asleep, snoring like only a Pekingese can!  Hope was a joy to have around, always loving and a happy little dog. She recovered well, her fur grew back, but so did another
tumor. Though it was very small, it seemed to be growing rapidly.  Hope was scheduled for her spay, so the smaller tumor was removed at the same time. Again, she was a real trooper, recovering quickly and acting like her happy little self once again.

Her favorite treat was a Greenie. She always made us laugh when she had one, licking it like a lollipop for an hour before chewing on it.  In April of this year, Hope contracted pneumonia and a heart murmur. Even with the best care of our vet, and around the clock care at home, Hope crossed over on April 15, 2007.  For such a tiny little body to go through so much and come back strong, she just couldn't fight the infection in her lungs no matter how strong the antibiotics were.  Hope is the reason we do what we do. She embodies the spirit of Safehaven, giving us a reason to continue, and to give others in
her situation a little Hope. We will always remember you.

Frankie came in with the Ohio Four, these little ones had coats that were matted to the skin, (one even had a spider living in his coat), All four had skin conditions and really smelled bad.

After treating, shaving , and bathing we found we had four really sweet dogs. Frankie was by far the sweetest. With his sky blue eyes and howling bark he became a quick favorite here at Safehaven.

We named him Frankie Sinatra because of his singing when in a crate.

Frankie was seen on by his current mom and She fell in love with him on sight.

He is now living in Natrona, Pa. with his new family and doing VERY well.


Angel came to us from Tennessee, when she arrived we noticed she had problems walking and keeping up with the other dogs. We took her to our Vet Dr. Sam Doverspike for a checkup where she was diagnosed with Bi lateral Patellar Luxation ( both knees were permanently dislocated).

The surgery to repair this problem would be expensive, over $1000. So we set to work raising the funds. By holding a yard sale, and through the donations of some wonderful people Angel got her first surgery, and within a few days was trying to run on her new knee.

Our efforts continued and then the unexpected happened. A lady from Franklin, Pa.. offered to pay for the remainder of angels surgery and also wanted to adopt her after.

Successful surgery behind her Angel is now in her new home being roundly spoiled and living large.

A special thanks to all who gave of their time and money to make this success story possible!!



This is the story of Sadie, an 18 month old Female Pekingese. We received a call from Audrey Atherton in Ohio about a little female Peke with some major aggression problems. We agreed to take her in and work with her.

Sadie arrived on the transport in a crate with the warning “ she bites” On arriving at Safehaven we opened the crate door and were greeted with growls and snapping. This little one had been running the show at her previous home, sorry Sadie not here!

Within three days thanks to the training methods of Cesar Milan ( the dog whisperer) Sadie had realized she was not in charge here and soon became much more pleasant to be around.

We had Sadie spayed and brought up to date on her vaccinations and after a few weeks she was ready for her new forever home. We taught the new mom and dad how to discipline her and how to take control immediately.

Sadie, now called Suzie is now happy and well adjusted to her new Connecticut home and her new folks just love her to pieces.